Tuesday, March 16, 2010

wind in my hair and a view of the hares














I hope I haven't already posted about this. Look, I know i'm behind. Far behind. But today I'll go "above and beyond" to win your love and devotion back!

Did I mention our Winter Retreat yet? The board of neurosurgery, my employer, takes an annual retreat / meeting in which spouses are invited. Gammy and Pops were able to take the kids for us so that Evan could attend. We were at the 4 Seasons Resort in Scottsdale AZ. All expenses were paid so it was even better than the honeymoon 3 years ago! We had spas dinners, balconies, long walks, rental cars, cocktails, and as you see....hot air balloon rides!

I had my own portrayal of what it would be like when I was young child. I invisioned a tiny basket, room for 2, with incredible risk at take off and landing. It all seemed pretty organized and structured, though. The appointment was set through concierge and billed to my room. As we began approaching, however, it all went back to being pretty terrifying. The basket was in fact small, and we had to wait about 2 hours before we could get in the air because of the wind. Then we drove about 45 minutes away from the planned take-off location and were just followed by a bunch of guys in trucks with walky talkies! It just didn't feel so controlled anymore, but I started to like that. We needed a long clear path in the desert so we could skid out on landing and "not run into a cactus"! And they were dead serious when they said that.

It was beautiful watching the desert from up there. It was quiet but pretty eventful too! We got to pour water on a few cars, took a picture of our own shadow (see above0, we ran into another balloon in the air (yes, you heard me right!), and crash landed into a steep hill! The entire desert was complete flat and the one spot where we could land HAD to be a hill. I had a hard time dealing with that. :-)

No comments: