daddy and i decided to start the celebration early so that, despite my 9-10 hour work day, it would feel like an actual birthday. i quickly snoozed when my alarm whined at 4:56, but i paused for a split second to greet this new age. I didn't salute my wrinkles, backaches,and poor eye site by any means, so don't think i've gone soft.
I had bagels and jalapeno schmear with my coffee as I spread out on the bed. Gifts, and more gifts, and more gifts kept coming. He was trying to out do me! Alright, I'm kidding - He was being an incredibly thoughtful and sweet husband on my birthday! He joined me with his own bagel and coffee as I opened my card. I won't talk about the old lady pictured on the front accept to say I looked better than her.
Moving along!
Here was my horoscope that Raygan sent yesterday, not sure if it has something to do with my pile of gifts:
CANCER (June 21-July 22): I believe that when you chatter carelessly
about a big change that's in the works, you're in danger of draining it of
some of its potency. So I don't want to trumpet or gossip about the gift
that's on its way to you. I'll just mention that it's coming, and urge you to
prepare a clean, well-lit place for it to land. Here's a hint: It could, among
other things, help you convert one of your vulnerabilities into a strength
or inspire you to start transforming an area of ignorance into a future
source of brilliance.
innnneresting.
So, I went for the best gift first he says. It was an interface for my computer! You hook up microphones (ahem), laptops, keyboards, electric guitars, monitors, etc!. Naturally this is for recording which is something I've been wanting and needing to do for about 5 years. I can say ALMOST TO THE DAY now that kiki is 5! haha. I pretty much recorded up until the day she was born and suddenly found I only had time to be a good mother and not much else. Especially as a single mother back then. I'll say I've been a little too down to make music knowing I've lost hundreds of songs I've recorded over the years and will never have them back. Makes me NOT trust computers.
BUT BACK TO THE GIFTS! What do I open next?! A gorgeous, and much needed, much useful, condenser mic! I am very excited to own my own one of these!!! Last time was age 14, living with my dad and borrowing his. Next gift up - very heavy, very long. Hmmmm....a Mic Stand! A boom stand actually - not your average crappy stand. This thing is great! He's so sweet! At this point I'm thinking - Lets get this studio going, and I'm all fired up and ready to call in! The Next gift is another functional piece that belongs to the stand we thing.
Are you tired of reading? Time for a new paragraph! I'm dizzy just looking at it. Something about 28 makes my eye site even worse. I promise to call for an eye exam today with that birthday cash Gammy! I need it so bad. Okay, so my next gifts (yep, 2) are in a bag! I thought I taught this man how to do tissue, but instead of feathering them up, they're laid across the top to cover the gifts. This made me love him even more. He says he didn't have enough tissue, though. :) ALWAYS Buy lots, right?! ha.
So.....in this bag was the mic chord (15 feet!) and a mic filter which reduces all the popping and buzzing and things that the condenser mic pics up. They are prone to distort due to their sensitivity, so this is the most useful thing you can have with it. What sets a condenser mic apart from just your standard mic is that it's an electrostatic mic - it pics up sound waves, so it sort of works in a v8 pattern rather than sound going strait into it. That's how it was explained to me long ago. It stores energy in the form of an electric current. So the sound waves hit it, coming from all angles (meaning you get all the subtleties of your voice) and then it once it hits the magnet they change to and electric field. It's so much more crystal clear - which can be a bad thing if you're a terrible singer! Yikes! Anyhow, lets just say they are professional microphones, and if you're going to record some serious tunes, they're great to have. I've done great professional stuff with what I've had, but I can get down with the dogs now!
THANK YOU DADDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OH, i nearly forgot the new laptop! Well, it's new to me at least! Daddy gave me his old one totally cleared of with 15 gigs???? I have no idea what that means or if that's right. That sounds like 15 concerts to me! Anyways, kiki drew a monster so that's the new desktop image I got to see on it this morning! totally sweet! I'm a spoiled little brat!
Here's a condenser mic:

POP FILTER IN THIS PIC

if you want me to post my first song recorded, leave a commment. (just a test to see how many comments i can get! :-)

4 comments:
Yay! Can't wait to hear it. Who raised that wonderful guy?
Post the song! The world needs it now that Michael Jackson has passed on.
Well I sure would hate to make my 50-70 readers a weeks' ears bleed. I'm too kind. Guess Chas and JC are out of luck and MJ fans will have to live with Miley.
Post a Comment