Thursday, February 4, 2010

my little "gymnastical" - a 3-year old kiran word!

I signed Kiran up for gymnastics last week so we had our first class this week. We had our second class as well, but that’s due to picking Wednesdays for the set schedule.
I am enormously happy with this facility as well as the staff. Very professional and they don’t baby the kids. If you aren’t participating, you’ll just get left behind. They do encourage all the time, though. They started out the class with some pretty amusing warm-ups which got all the kids giggly. Kiran has really been wanting this for a long time so I’m glad we finally committed to it. Our agreement was that she would too. She got tired of soccer so fast and complained about going. You don’t spend that kind of money if you think it’s going to happen again.
The class is around 10-12 kids and they split them up by age or ability into groups of 3 or 4. At that point they spend 10 minutes or so at different stations with different instructors. She already learned so much in just two classes after working on the low beam and high beam for balance and grace, the trampolines taught her how to control her body a little more, she gained confidence after spinning around on the bars, both high (where she hangs from them) and low (where she spins all they around it). They have their own version of the cartwheel for kids just starting out and the tumbling was really constructive for their coordination as well. All in all I feel like she’ll be learning so much from this. And if she does decide she wants to move on to ballet, she’ll be ready to ooze (spell?!) all of that grace and poise she’s been learning.

She’s lined up in this pic at the end of her class and you can’t even see her. I couldn’t get pics the entire times I was there, but I will next time.

www.discovergymnastics.com in case anyone here in houston is interested. It's $340 per semester and you really get your money's worth i think.

4 comments:

Amy said...

That's awesome! I loved gymnastics at that age and I continued to love it for years to come. I can't wait to be able to take Lola to her first gymnastics class. Go, Kiran, GO!

Amy said...

That's awesome! I loved gymnastics at that age, and continued to love it for years to come. I can't wait to get Lola into gymnastics. I think it's a great confidence builder as well as a great start to the world of dance/ballet/althetics. Go, Kiran, Go!

Unknown said...

This will be great for her in many ways - confidence, coordination, body awareness. So glad you're doing it.

daddy cleaver said...

she has very good gymnasticality.